Health & Wellness
LOCAL WELLNESS POLICY
The board is committed to providing a school environment that promotes student health and wellness as part of the total learning experience for its students. To this end, the board shall promote and monitor a local health and wellness program. The program shall:
- Include goals for providing proper student nutrition at school, nutrition education, physical activity, and other school-based activities designed to promote student health and wellness in a manner that the board determines is appropriate;
- Include nutrition guidelines for all foods available in each school during the school day, with the objectives of the guidelines to be promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity; Ensure foods and beverages sold at breakfast and lunch meet the nutrition guidelines for the School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program;
- Provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students;
- Provide opportunities, support, and encouragement for students in grades K-12 to be physically active on a regular basis;
- Assure that guidelines for reimbursable school meals shall not be less restrictive than Federal and state statutes, regulations, and guidance issued by the Secretary of Agriculture, as they apply to schools;
- Involve parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, district physical education teachers, school health professionals, the school board, administrators, and the public in the development, implementation, and periodic review of the school health and wellness policy; and
- Establish a plan for measuring implementation of the local health and wellness policy, including designation of one or more district employees who shall be charged with operational responsibility for ensuring the health and wellness policy is effectively enforced, is periodically measured, and that assessment of the implementation of the local school health and wellness policy available to the public. Such assessments shall measure the extent to which schools in the district are in compliance with this policy, shall compare the district’s health and wellness policy with other model local school wellness policies, and shall describe the progress made in attaining the goals of this policy.
Revised: 12/2013, 7/14/2014, 4/12/2021
To view USD 373 Newton’s Wellness Policies please click on the link below (or copy and paste into your browser) and select one or each of following report options and look for our district number D0373.
- School Nutrition Program Wellness Policy: Wellness Policies by Sponsor – Elementary
- School Nutrition Program Wellness Policy: Wellness Policies by Sponsor – Middle
- School Nutrition Program Wellness Policy: Wellness Policies by Sponsor – High
If you would be interested in participating on our Wellness Committee, please contact Jane Nichols at 316-284-6202.